Monday, 9 May 2011

New Artist's statement

I'm posting this here because the university email system is broken and I need to get it somewhere! I suppose it's mildly interesting and appropriate as well. The artist's statement is obviously the bit in italics:




As an artist, I am concerned with the imperfections of communication and reproduction. No form of communication provides perfect transmission of information; the codes, languages and structures we use are maps of the world, not the world itself. My work employs processes of appropriation, reproduction and representation to explore the gaps in meaning and understanding between different methods of communication. The art is situated in the uneasy spaces between the text and the font, the image and the mark, the words and the pictures; distorted by the cumulative entropy of reproduction that can never be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment